June begins the hurricane season for the coastal area. As the season arrives upon us, we want to remind owners to be aware of several important issues. Owners should take all measures to have a representative to secure their personal belongings. In the event of a mandatory evacuation, Atlantic States Management will leave updates on their recorder should owners wish to check the conditions on the Island. Also, will be taking all measures to secure association records, insurance policies, computers, etc. and will not be able to handle individual personal requests. Once a remote office is established we will send regular e-mail updates to all owners. If you have not registered your email address with us, it is very important you do so now!
Below are some evacuations tips for residents:
- Gather and store valuable documents such as mortgage notes, deeds, licenses, house plans, property tax receipts, etc.
- Take photos or a video of your home, boat, automobiles and belongings.
- Turn off utilities and propane tank when you leave.
- Plan to have nonperishable food items, drinking water, flashlights, first aid kits, battery powered radio, toilet paper, camera and film, disposable wipes, credit cards and cash.
- Make a list of important telephone numbers to take with you.
- Pack pet supplies and medications.
- Pack two weeks’ worth of prescription medicine.
In the event of a hurricane Beaufort County will set up their Emergency Management Department. They can be reached Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at (843) 470-3100 or on the internet 24/7 via their website at http://www.co.beaufort.sc.us/
We hope that we will not have to evacuate this year, but we must all be prepared!